Responsible for providing strategic input to Projects leadership regarding fiscal function and performance of the assigned region; providing financial guidance and direction to the assigned field offices; providing financial management and assistance with Awards received from external funders and Affiliates; and ensuring the integrity of field office financial data uploaded to the ministry-wide financial system. Position requires frequent international travel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following and other duties as assigned.
1. Provide timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial reports, and financial trends to assist Projects leadership in performing their responsibilities. Identify requirements for and develop useful financial reporting formats as needed.
2. Advise Projects leadership on the financial management performance of assigned field offices and on the financial impact of programs, strategies, funding agreements, activities, and regulatory requirements. Inform Projects leadership of financial issues originating from and/or affecting assigned field offices.
3. Participate in regional team meetings, coordination, and planning. Assist in the annual regional program and budget development process. Serve as the principal liaison with Projects leadership for all finance-related matters in the assigned region.
4. Guide and direct Finance Managers to structure in-country finance teams to ensure key financial objectives are met; internal controls are in place and functioning; policies, procedures and processes outlined in the Projects Finance Field Operating Guide are implemented and enforced; and risks are minimized when finance staff are absent or positions are temporarily vacant.
5. Review financial-related aspects of field office project proposals, modifications, and agreements. Submit comments and recommendations through the Projects Grants team.
6. Review project financial activity reports and invoices to be submitted to external funders and Affiliates to ensure all applicable financial transactions are included and assess the degree to which financial rules and regulations of awards are met.
7. Develop and implement training programs in assigned field offices for international and national finance staff to ensure excellent performance and staff development; and for non-finance staff in the areas of accounting, reporting, and internal controls.
8. Oversee the finance function in assigned field offices. Communicate directly with field finance managers and accountants to provide instructions, corrections and other work-related information. Monitor performance as to accuracy and timeliness and provide feedback to Projects leadership.
9. Monitor internal controls and perform periodic assessments to identify risks associated with financial operations within assigned region.
10. Identify possible areas of improvement and recommend systems that will improve the overall efficiency and effectiveness of Samaritan’s Purse financial operations in assigned field offices.
11. Analyze the cash position of assigned field offices and advise Projects leadership accordingly. Evaluate currency exchange fluctuations for each assigned field office and recommend steps to minimize exposure.
12. Facilitate funds requests from field offices as approved by Regional Directors. Ensure proper acknowledgments are received. Monitor cash and bank balances as needed but no less than monthly.
13. Facilitate the calculation and payment of in-country taxes associated with International Field Staff in assigned field offices as necessary. This should be done through a local accounting firm within the country or region.
14. Provide support, guidance and assistance to assigned field offices as needed with internal audits, award audits, and external audits. Contribute to the management response as requested.
15. Receive and process financial information from field offices and temporary project sites.
16. Participate in the recruitment, interviews, and selection of Finance Managers. Assist as needed in the recruitment, interviews, and selection of other field office finance staff.
17. Facilitate the opening or closing of field office bank accounts and the maintenance of current signatory lists. Prepare or obtain required documentation to open an account, change signatories on an account, or close an account. Maintain a current list of field office bank accounts and signatories.
18. Travel to field sites as needed to ensure proper implementation of finance-related policies and procedures, to perform informal assessments, to consult with and advise Projects management and finance staff on field finance matters, for temporary assignments, or to perform other work assigned.
19. Assist in the development and implementation of cost allocation methodologies including International Field Staff payroll allocations.
20. Provide financial management training to Projects leadership including but not limited to Regional Directors, Regional Managers, Country Directors, and Deputy Country Directors.
21. Deploy in response to an emergency situation with a Disaster Assistance Response Team or serve on the IHQ-based Incident Management Team as needed.
22. Maintain a thorough knowledge of financial aspects of assigned Samaritan’s Purse projects and activities in order to respond to general inquiries.
23. Follow policies and procedures of Samaritan’s Purse as set forth in the Policy Manual.
24. Attend daily morning devotions and participate in prayer support for the ministry, its donors and volunteers.
25. Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public.
This job has no direct supervisory responsibilities. Assists and advises the Country Directors and Regional Directors with the oversight of field finance staff.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must maintain a personal relationship with and be a consistent witness for Jesus Christ, as well as able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Four year college or university degree required and three to five years related accounting experience; or equivalent combination of accounting education and experience. Proficiency in MS Excel and Outlook required. CPA beneficial, but not required. Twelve credit hours of college-level Biblical studies strongly preferred.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as award agreements and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups. Second language ability a plus.
Ability to calculate, present, and analyze financial information.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position requires frequent international travel of approximately 60 days/year. Most travel is scheduled in advance, but some may be urgent with little notice. The employee must be able to withstand the rigors of international travel and carry heavy suitcases and boxes.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk, stand and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the International Headquarters work environment is usually moderate. The field office locations may be remote. The field office work environment may be uncomfortable and may lack modern conveniences.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://sp.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/samaritanspursecareers/job/USA-NC-Boone-IHQ/Regional-Finance-Officer_8500-1 →